Skip to main content
Get our mobile app
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play

"We Had Nearly Agreed on Everything"

Syria: Israel Halted Peace Negotiations

Asaad al-Shaibani says both sides had nearly reached agreement on withdrawal and buffer zones before recent Israeli attack on air base ended talks

Al Sharaa

Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani warned on Sunday that Israel should seize what he called a "historic opportunity" while diplomatic channels remain open.

Al-Shaibani said Damascus's primary goal is to stop Israeli strikes through confidence-building measures, even before reaching a comprehensive agreement. According to the minister, contact between the two sides was severed following Israel's airstrike on an air force base, because "there is no benefit in communication that produces no results."

The Syrian foreign minister disclosed that earlier this year, the two sides had already reached near-complete agreement on paper regarding all major issues. According to al-Shaibani, these understandings included Israeli withdrawal from territories captured after the fall of the Assad regime, deployment of Syrian forces, and UN-monitored buffer zones.

"We reached detailed agreements on all the main issues," the Syrian foreign minister stated. However, he claimed that "Israel evaded implementing the agreements due to a lack of genuine desire to reach an arrangement." Al-Shaibani argued that Israel's attempt to achieve security through "brute force" has failed, and it is difficult to rely on this approach.

Al-Shaibani emphasized that Syria extends a hand toward understanding, peace, and regional stability, and respects Israel's security concerns. However, he set a clear condition: Israel must cease using Syrian airspace, conducting raids, and making arrests in the country's south.

According to the minister, only after Israeli aggression stops can issues of peace and the Golan Heights be addressed. Al-Shaibani noted that no agreement has yet been reached on an American mechanism to prevent confrontation, and warned that such a mechanism must stop attacks rather than legitimize occupation.

Regarding the Israeli strike on the Abu al-Duhur air base, al-Shaibani claimed Israel bombed the facility despite being explicitly told there would be no Turkish base there. The attack, for which Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz took official responsibility in an unusual statement released on Shabbat, led to the breakdown of contacts.

The Syrian foreign minister stressed that Syria is grateful for military assistance from Turkey, Jordan, and Saudi Arabia, and will not relinquish it. According to al-Shaibani, the new regime in Damascus needs regional support to rebuild the country after years of civil war.

The United States is pressuring both sides to return to the negotiating table. Israel's Consul General in New York, Ofir Akunis, addressed operations on the Syrian border, stating: "We have excellent intelligence. We will continue to protect Israeli citizens from our enemies."

Meanwhile, regional tensions continue to escalate. Associates of President Trump are reportedly angry with Turkey envoy Tom Barrack, who is accused of supporting Turkish positions at the expense of American and Israeli interests. Conservative activist Laura Loomer called for his dismissal, claiming he "doesn't understand American foreign policy and supports the wrong side."

Ready for more?

Join our newsletter to receive updates on new articles and exclusive content.

We respect your privacy and will never share your information.

Enjoyed this article?

Yes (26)
No (1)
Follow Us:

Unmissable content


Loading comments...

Also of Interest