Israel Prepares to Intercept Another Gaza-Bound Flotilla
Israel is preparing to intercept a flotilla of more than 50 vessels that departed Turkey to attempt to break the naval blockade of the Gaza Strip.

Israel is preparing to intercept a Gaza-bound flotilla of more than 50 vessels that departed Turkey last week in an attempt to break the naval blockade of the Gaza Strip.
The flotilla, organized as part of the Global Sumud Flotilla and backed by the Turkish IHH organization, includes 426 participants aboard 54 vessels, according to organizers. It left waters off Antalya on Thursday and is expected to approach the Gaza coast within 48 hours.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu held a preliminary security consultation on the matter Sunday and is expected to hold another operational meeting with senior defense officials Monday. An Israeli official said the flotilla includes Hamas supporters and is intended to breach Israel’s blockade of Gaza.
Israeli media reported that naval forces have already deployed ahead of a possible interception. According to Maariv, the deployment includes missile boats, Super Dvora patrol vessels, Shayetet 13 naval commando craft and at least one landing ship.
The exact location of a possible interception has not been disclosed.
Yedioth Ahronoth quoted an unnamed Israeli military official saying soldiers could use non-firearm force during any operation, including batons or stun grenades. Flotilla organizers said they had detected unidentified drone activity and military movement near the convoy.
The current flotilla follows an earlier Global Sumud mission in April, when the Israeli Navy intercepted 20 vessels. More than 100 participants were later deported. Two activists from that mission, Brazilian activist Thiago Avila and Spanish national Abu Keshek, were detained in Israel for questioning on suspicion of aiding the enemy and contact with a terrorist group before being deported earlier this month. Both are reportedly taking part in the new mission.
The IHH was also behind the 2010 Mavi Marmara flotilla, during which Israeli commandos boarded a vessel attempting to breach the Gaza blockade. Ten activists were killed in clashes aboard the ship, triggering international condemnation and a UN inquiry.
Alongside the naval flotilla, a 30-vehicle land convoy set out from Libya toward Gaza on Saturday. The Global Sumud Flotilla said the convoy includes 200 participants from 25 countries, including doctors, nurses, engineers and builders.
Previous land efforts have faced major obstacles. A larger convoy that left Tunisia last year was denied passage by Libyan forces, while a separate group attempting to reach Rafah through Egypt was detained and deported.
Israel has maintained a naval blockade on Gaza since Hamas seized control of the Strip, and tightened restrictions after the October 7, 2023 massacre. Israel says the blockade is necessary to prevent weapons from reaching Hamas. Flotilla organizers say they are seeking to deliver humanitarian aid and challenge what they call an illegal siege.